These pancakes are the absolute bomb! Even if you aren’t a banana fan, try them, because the banana really just there to sweeten the pancakes. This recipe is a modified version of one that was given to me on Twitter, and it’s been one of my go-to recipes ever since I started eliminating sugar and processed flour (mainly white flour) from my diet. I mix it up quite a bit by putting different things in and on top of them. Honey and sometimes a little bit of cinnamon are my favorite. If I want more protein, I’ll put peanut butter on them. As far as add-ins to the batter, I’ve used raisins, chopped almonds, blueberries, and went just plain. Chocolate chips, especially dark chocolate, would be good. Most any sort of berries would be good too, I imagine! It’s all good!
1 cup (ish) of oats (Use gluten free ones if you want to be technical with it.)
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 ripe or overripe banana, smashed
2 eggs (If you just have one egg, or want to skimp, that works too. I do it all the time.)
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
3 tablespoons of milk (otherwise known as a splash or two, optional)
Almonds or other nuts, chopped (optional)
1. Go ahead and heat a pan or griddle up to medium-low.
2. Chop the almonds or other nuts into small pieces.
3. If you have a food processor or immersion blender, blend your oats to a flour consistency. (optional)
4. Smash the banana.
5. Add in all the other ingredients and mix. You don’t want your batter to be too runny, or it will be hard to deal with. If it ends up being that way, you can add a little more oats.
6. When the butter melts and bubbles on the pan or griddle, pour a scoop of batter on it, and slightly spread it around in a circle. Flip the pancake when it’s lightly browned on the bottom. Cook on the other side until equally done.
(Note: If you are cooking on cast iron, you’ll probably need to turn the heat to low at some point. Don’t let your butter start smoking or browning.)
That’s all! I pop mine in the freezer a lot, then just reheat in the microwave.